Wednesday, February 13, 2013

WHEN THE MOOD TO WRITE STRIKES ME

Yesterday at precisely 4 o'clock in the morning I woke up with a great storyline bouncing around in my head, so I did what I always do... I grabbed pencil and paper from my nightstand and quickly scribbled down my thoughts before they could fade.  Keeping a pencil and paper by the bedside is a habit I have had for more than thirty years.

Some nights I awake with a complete storyline in mind, while other nights I may have a single sentence or idea come to mind like I did a couple nights ago.  This was my thought: 

Sierra felt his eyes upon her long before she saw him standing in the shadows of trees.  As she watched him move into the moonlight, she was certain he was not from this world.

Who really has these kinds of wacky thoughts or crazy habits, besides me?  If you're a writer or a storyteller, I suspect you may have the same kinds of experiences.  Most likely, you have your own method of jotting down an idea or thought when it strikes.  I find I am most creative when I take the time to capture my thoughts and ideas as soon as they occur even when it is in the wee hours of the morning.

Writing when an idea strikes sometimes causes me to write for several hours before coming up for air.  Usually I can crank out three or four thousand words in a single two hour sitting.  One of my sisters recently said she thought my best ideas strike in the middle of the night because it's the only time a character can get my full attention.  Maybe she is on to something, but for now the mood to write no longer strikes me.  Until next time...

Happy Dreams,

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment